Thursday, November 1, 2007

I think I may finally be adjusting to the time change over here. Last night was my first night of good sleep. All the other nights since I've been here I woke up around 3am and was wide awake. It takes quite awhile for your body to adjust. Everyone here says it takes a good 2 weeks to finally feel rested and normal again. I've had a headache the past few days and have been feeling really tired despite my 9+ hours of sleep each night.

I'm loving our job. We've just been observing classes this week. Next week we'll get to teach on our own. But the classes are easy to teach. Living here reminds me of college life minus the homework plus we're getting paid lots to be here. All the native English speaking teachers live on campus in dorm/apartment style housing. It's kind of like the TV show, "The Real World".

Everyone here is awesome and amazing. I already feel like we're making what will become deep friendships with people. What is so cool is that they live all over the world so when we come home, we'll have people to go visit all over. Already we have made some crazy connections. We work with a couple that is big into world missions and another from South Africa who is a believer as well. Everyone is so gracious. One girl, Kristina knows my old swim coach from college and her cousin is on the soccer team at JBU. It's such a small world. God has blessed us so much already with the people here. I feel like we are such a good fit for this place. We all have such different backgrounds and life experiences. Most everyone has traveled to various parts of the world. I feel like such a novice traveler. It's fun hearing about where everyone has been. I'm looking forward to seeing the world. I think our first vacation will be to Thailand. Who knows where after that. The world is starting to feel smaller to me. It's so liberating to be able to go to the other side of the world and figure out another culture/language. I'm learning more Korean everyday.

I love living here so far. Everyday I wake up and feel like I'm LIVING my life. I'm not just going through the motions. My life has a purpose and I'm getting to explore another country and love people from all parts of the world with all different beliefs. I feel ALIVE. And I'm falling in love with my husban all over again. I don't know what it is, but I'm seeing him with new eyes. Maybe it's that we're both getting to exprience such and amazing adventure together. We're getting such good "eyeball to eyeball" time and having fun exploring. We seem to have so much free time. Yesterday, Dusty and I set out alone to run some errands. We took our first trip to the grocery store which was definitely a different experience. The Korean diet is soooo different. I'm definitely missing American food but I'm branching out. Tonight for dinner I had soup, tofu, kimchi, and rice. I'm acquiring a taste for things. I eat lots for breakfast every morning as it's the only "Western" meal we get here.

We also ventured out to find a climbing gym yesterday. We got a little lost. We stopped and asked some Korean high school boys if they could help us. They laughed and looked at our map. We were really lost. They walked with us a mile in the opposite direction they were going to get us to where we were going. The whole way, one of the boys practiced his English with us. Between his broken English and our broken Korean, we had a good converstaion. I can't get over how hospitable the Korean people are here. They are so eager to help. If I ever get lost, I know someone will help me. So, we found the climbing gym. I think we'll probably join.

Today, Dusty and I are working the evening shift which means we had the morning until 1:30pm to ourselves. We decided to take the hike up the mountain that is literally at our backdoor. It took us about 1 1/2 hours to get the the top and it was quite a steep hike but it was worth it. What a beautiful day. Sunny, probably about 50 degrees or so. The leaves are changing and are beautiful and vibrant right now. We bumped into a couple of other English teachers. At the top we sat in the sun on a rock for awhile overlooking all of Seoul. I can't comprehend the vastness of this city of 12 million people. It's huge and seems to go on forever. We took lots of pictures. I will try to get them uploaded on here soon. I just have to figure out how to do it.

Better go. We've got evening activity with the kids tonight. I love my job. I love my life. I love my God and I praise Him for this amazing world and this amazing life.

----- <>< ------- Rebs