Sunday, November 2, 2008

Little Heartbreakers

Monday I was taking roll in one of my classes, knowing that this would be my last class with these particular students. Everyday at the beginning of each class I'd always ask each student how they were feeling. The typical answers were, "I'm fine, I'm happy, I'm tired, I'm hungry". But Monday the third student I asked said, "I'm sad." Now whenever my kids say they are sad, bad, or angry I always ask why. So I asked why she was sad and she said, "Because Rebecca teacher go to America on Wednesday." And my heart melted and broke at the same time. My eyes welled up with tears. The remaining 9 kids in the class all proceeded to tell me they were sad when asked how they were feeling that day. It was all I could do to hold back my tears.

It was bittersweet saying goodbye. My students each let me know in their own special way that I matter to them. To know that I've made a difference in their lives is a satisfying feeling. To know that they care enough about me to tell me they'll miss me makes me feel special and honored. It means I've done my job. I've tried so hard to listen, to love, to care, to teach, to empower, to encourage, and to praise. So many times I've wondered if I was doing a good job. It hasn't always been easy but in those last few days with my kids, I was reminded that the struggle and effort was well worth it. Such precious children, they are. They made my heart grow bigger. What a gift. I already miss them so much. I'll probably never see them again but they will always be in my memory and my heart will soften each time I think of them. If only they knew how much I love them.