Thursday, March 26, 2009

Hit By the Full Swing of Things Like a 2x4 to the Head!

So it's been a bit since we wrote last and there is good reason for it. School is in full session now, and we found the climbing wall that's 10 minutes from our house...and Rebs is sick. In fact, we've been passing it back and forth for about a week and a half now. No fun, except to see who can make the biggest, most colorful loogie.

Yes, teaching is kicking our butts right now. it's not so much the teaching as it is the planning and prepping and re-adjusting to lower functioning classes. i find myself scratching my head a few times a week trying to figure out how to relay my English message about English to a Korean student that isn't understanding. Sometimes I draw stick people. The creative part of my brain is working doubletime.

In the midst of all this was my birthday yesterday. I thought about de-friending some people on facebook because of so many messages (not really). It was a blessing to be reminded of how many people were thinking about me, even if just for a moment. To celebrate, we went downtown to a nicer restaurant/coffee shop for some italian food. I got the spaghetti with mozzerella and it came in two square chunks next to the pasta and sauce. Made me laugh, but that's just Korea for you.

I'm finding 3-day weekends can be both a blessing and a curse. The blessings I think are obvious, but the curse comes when you realize that you've played all weekend and have to jump back into the same busy routine that you did last week, cramming 5 days of work into 4. Eventually we're going to have to slow down and probably take (at least part of) a weekend off. But not this weekend because Chris Sharma, one of the great names in rock climbing, is going to be climbing here in Korea. I've never met the man, but I expect to feel something like a 6-year-old does on Christmas morning. I'm very excited and may lose sleep. I can't help it, it's just how I feel.

So this will have to be it for now. I have a class in about 10 minutes. And if anyone reading this is wondering why I have time to write a blog but Rebs hasn't written you back, don't take it personally. She has 2 more teaching hours than me, and her schedule is set up in a way that she doesn't really get much of a break.
-----dusty--<><--