Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Hey Cow!

If you've ever lived in the US mid-west, or anywhere that has cows grazing near the road you're driving on, you have probably played or heard of the game called "Hey Cow!" It's very simple. As you're driving by, you roll down the window and yell, "hey cow!" Then, by the number of cows that look at you, you get that many points, and if you cause a stampede, it's worth even more. You get the picture. If you don't, you can look it up on youtube.

Just yesterday, I realized that Koreans have a very similar version, whether they recognize it or not. As some of you know, I've been running a lot lately trying to get in good shape for a marathon I plan to run in about a month from now. I've noticed how the Koreans, once they recognize they are in the presence of a foreigner, have the opportunity to impress their friends by speaking English. So as I run by, one will likely yell something like, "Hello," or "nice to meet you", "how are you", "fine thank you, and you," all in hopes of eliciting a response from me. If I turn and respond, they tend to giggle and speak excitedly to their company, saying what I can imagine to be something like, "I got him to look!" I never thought I would be comparing myself to a cow. Moo!