Sunday, January 3, 2010

Why I Climb

Climbing is the most helpful thing in my life in terms of relieving my anxiety and worries about the future. It feels so parallel to my life right now. It's hard, scary, and fun all at the same time. There is a lot of mystery, challenge, and uncertainty involved. Sometimes I feel really vulnerable and insecure. Other times I feel confident and strong. But what I like most about it is that no matter what the circumstances are, no matter where I am on the rock, I always feel alive and fully present. My focus is on whatever is presented in front of me in the moment. Everything else melts away and it's just me up there alone with my Maker and together we dance up the rock. It's so wonderful to be able to focus on climbing for an extended amount of time. It's relaxing, therapeutic, and my main creative outlet. My hope is that I will be able to take all of this and apply it to the rest of my life.