Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Repercussions to a Minimalist Lifestyle

So if you've been reading, you know that we've been stateside for several days now. You may also know that I've been on somewhat of a minimalist kick, which I think is one of the best times to do it because you're tempted with things you "need" left and right. 'Tis the season to be spending. So far, I'd say I'm doing pretty well. I realize that right now in life, I have everything I need. It helps knowing that we likely have (at most) one more year in Korea, which means that we will be moving and will be vanquishing much of what we own, or shipping it home. I see my minimalism as a way of reducing my stress and work in the long run. Maybe when we move back to the States for good, I will think about things differently. We'll be getting cars, a house, and opening up our long-forgotten storage unit to fill it. But that's not right now. So for now, I will continue to minimize my life.

Rebs doesn't exactly see eye to eye with me on this whole thing. Yesterday, I happened to put on a pair of socks I hadn't worn in a while. I went downstairs and was sitting there when Rebs came by and noticed a big hole on the underside. Her first reaction was to want to buy me some new socks. I think that would be most people's reaction. But I still have plenty of socks, probably more than I can wear in a week. Let's face it, most people do laundry at least once a week. So if you can manage to have clean socks every day of the week, why does it matter if you have 4 pairs or 17? As far as I know, she hasn't bought me any new socks. But I did consent and tell her she can buy me some new boxers. :)