Wednesday, August 31, 2011

News

Yesterday morning, I made an important phone call. It was important because the results strongly affect what we'll be doing in the next 6 months. If you didn't know this already, Rebs and I are planning to move home to the United States. After 4 years of Korean living, we're ready to move on to the next chapter. Think babies, family, school, careers, none of which have we been pursuing very heavily while over here.

My phone call was to the Cherokee Nation EMS program based out of Tahlequah, Oklahoma. I have been planning to take their EMT (Emergency Medical Technician) course for some time now, and possibly the Paramedic course thereafter. Specifically, I was calling to get dates in mind. Up until now, Rebs and I had been hoping to do some traveling over the winter, then head to the States for a 1-2 month road trip for climbing at a few places we have never been. This phone call changed all that. The EMT course starts early March, will last for 6 months, and then the Paramedic course starts just after the EMT course finishes.

My understanding is that if I want to take the Paramedic course, this is the best time to take it because it is only offered every 18 months, the duration of the course. And since the two are lined up next to each other, I wouldn't have to wait after my EMT course.

There are so many variables in the mix right now that I don't want to talk too much more about them until they are finalized. But I guess this was all to say that we'll be home sooner than you might have thought.