Saturday, November 3, 2007

Randomness... maybe more than you want to know

I miss good milk.
I'm trying to get used to the milk here. It has a weird smell and aftertaste.
I'm tired of Korean food. A lot of it is very spicy.
I eat a lot of rice and drink a lot of water.
Don't drink the water unless it is bottled or filtered.
We have filtered water here on campus.
Don't worry, I'm not starving.
I never realized until we moved here how much food is a comfort for me.
My tastebuds don't like a lot of the new flavors I'm trying. "Come on tastebuds, live a little."
My stomach doesn't always agree with what I've eaten.
Today, I had diarrhea.
We were walking around town and I had to find a restroom, pronto... twice.
I feel better now.
I'm getting better at using chopsticks.
I don't like squid... especially for breakfast.
Half the time, I don't know what I'm eating.
I love the mountains in my backyard.
I'm looking forward to traveling the world.
There is an English teacher here who is my age that has been to 40+ countries.
Korean people have a different smell to them.
The Korean kids stay here at the village Mon-Fri.
They start to stink around Thursday. They wear the same clothes and don't shower regularly even though we tell them to.
Last night, Dusty and I worked the evening shift and participated in graduation with the kids.
We danced with the kids to YMCA and several other songs.
It was fun. I laughed a lot.
I can't believe we get paid to do what we do.
The kids all cry at the end of the graduation ceremony when it's time to say goodbye.
We don't get paid until Dec. 7th, which means we'll be poor for awhile longer.
I'm tired of being poor.
However, I'm reminded that poor is a relative term and there are people living not far from here who would give anything to have what I have.
I feel weak today.
I desire to be satisfied with what God gives me each day.
I struggle with that. I always seem to want more.
Tomorrow I'm going to church with Dusty and a girl from South Africa that we work with.
Her name is Lauren. She is African American and has a cool accent.
I've noticed I'm starting to pronounce some of my words differently. The mix of accents and languages does that I guess. I really enunciate.
Today we went exploring and found the subway station nearest us. We also found McDonalds, Starbucks, Pizza Hut, KFC, TGI Fridays, and Outback Steakhouse.
But don't be fooled, nothing tastes the same.
It's all about a 20 minute walk from us.
Today at the store, I literally spent ten minutes staring at the products in the cleaning aisle trying to figure out what was laundry detergent and what was fabric softener.
We really need to do laundry.
Everything is written in Korean, which I can't read.
They play dance music at the grocery store and yell things over the intercom.
I started to cry on the way home.
Dusty held my hand until we got home.
When we got home, he let me cry more and just listened.
He didn't try to fix it. He knows better by now.
I love my husband.
I'm more attached to material possessions than I thought.
I don't like that.
I feel a little broken today. But it's okay, God is the strongest when I'm broken.
I think I needed to cry.
It felt good to cry.
I feel better now.
I've had an overwhelming desire to feel in control of something, anything.
I don't have control over much right now. Guess I'll have to trust God more and get closer to Him.
I wish we had more money to fix up our apartment, make it cozy, and get organized.
We'll have to wait another month or so to do that.
Tonight we made a budget for the next month.
I miss Legend and my family and friends.
They don't have clothes dryers here. You have to hang dry everything.
We bought a clothes drying rack last week.
Tomorrow I will do laundry.
I welcome any food that tastes familiar.
I look forward to breakfast every morning because it is the only "Western" food we get all day.
I stuff my face at breakfast.
I think I might lose weight while living here.
I'm not upset about that.
I wish I spoke more Korean.
I understand more Korean than I think.
I hope to learn a lot more while I'm here.
I thank God everyday for giving me Dusty. He's such an amazing husband and he loves me so much; even when I feel like I'm unlovable.
I like the people I work with.
I'm slowly making friends.
Writing this is therapeutic for me.
It feels good to purge my thoughts and feelings by writing.
I work with a girl named Kristina who has a cousin who was on the soccer team at JBU who is friends with Natalie Wall.
Kristina's husband is Ben.
They remind me of Ben and Beth West.
They are both Believers in Christ and big into world missions.
I like them.
It's a small world after all.
So far, I like my job a lot.
Did I mention how much I miss Legend... and milk?
That is all for now.
Goodnight.