Friday, January 11, 2008

Tired Bears

Hello friends. I'll try to keep this short because Brandi likes our short blogs. Just home from work. We are in our second (of three) ten day winter camps. The winter sessions offer three majors for the students. They have to pick between science, art, or theater. Something different for us is that we are assigned to one group of students in a particular major for the entire session. This means we really get to develop relationships with the kids. It's been so much fun and really rewarding but also really taxing and draining. The last night of the majors is a chance for the students to display what they've learned. The science students have an egg drop contest, theater students perform a play, and the art students have an art show/contest. Dusty has been teaching theater and I've been teaching art. Tonight was the final night for the majors. I've really been investing into my kids and it sure takes a lot of energy but I'm so proud of them and how hard they've worked these past several days. I had such a great, well-behaved group of students. It will be harder to say goodbye to them tomorrow because I'm more attached to this specific group than I usually am when we just have regular camp. At the same time, I'm a little relieved to have a few days off from teaching majors. I really love my job. It's so much fun and I also really love the family atmosphere that exists around here. All the teachers get along so well. It reminds me so much of my college swim team. We spend so much time together that we become like brothers and sisters.

I'm finally starting to feel like I'm not sick anymore. I still have a slight cough but it's nothing compared to how I was feeling. I've got more energy and a better attitude. Although, I can still sleep like crazy. It's the time of year when my body likes to hibernate I guess. It snowed all night last night and most of the day today. We probably have at least six inches of snow on the ground. It makes our campus look so beautiful and peaceful. The kids have enjoyed having snow fights with each other. I'm lucky that I haven't been pegged yet. Other than that, not much else is new. We pretty much work, eat, sleep, repeat. With me being sick so much combined with the cold weather and working a lot, we haven't ventured out too much in the past couple of weeks. It will be so nice when things slow down in a couple more weeks. I'm really looking forward to our vacation in Thailand. Okay, bye.