Tuesday, July 1, 2008

A peek into our everyday life

Well, I'm just sittin' here at work. The office is so quiet. I just said goodbye to three friends whose contracts just finished yesterday. One will go back to New Zealand, one to the States, and the third, a Korean, will start a new teaching job somewhere else in Seoul. Even though we have two new teachers, the office feels so empty. Last night, on their final night, a big group of us went and got fruit soju at a little place near our house. It was delicious.

Sunday was such a great day. I was just thinking about how awesome it was. It was long and full, but so much fun. In case any of you are interested in what our life is like in Seoul on a Sunday, here's a recap:
7:15: Wake up
7:15-8:00: Get ready
8:00-9:30: Travel to church. Yeah, it's kinda far away.
9:30-12:30: Church followed by fellowship and small prayer group gatherings with our Ooweh ministry. Borrow a couple spiritual reads from my new friend, Natalie.
12:30-1:00: My first motercycle ride in Seoul. And... I didn't die! Better yet, all limbs are still intact!
1:00-2:00: Korean style lunch with a bunch of friends. (spicy chicken, rice, and vegetables)
2:00-3:00: Shop around Ewha, buy some new earrings, spend waaay too much money on a caramel frappacino at Starbucks.
3:00-5:00: Meet up with my friends and Dusty at the soccer field at Ewha Women's University. Fight to keep Dusty from stealing my delicious drink. Sit on the sidelines and watch them play soccer while I read and talk with a couple friends.
5:00-6:00: Travel to Coex mall at Samseong. Become completely overwhelmed and overstimulated as we walk through to the movie theater. Coex is a HUGE underground shopping mall with everything you could possibly imagine.
6:00-7:00: Eat an awesome, AWESOME burger and fries. My first real burger in 8 months.
7:00-9:00: See the Korean film, "The Crossing" with English subtitles. It's the story of North Koreans leaving their families and risking their lives to cross the border into China. It's their only chance of hope for a future. I am deeply disturbed once again and I cry.
9:00-10:30: Get some drinks and talk with some new friends we've just met. They've worked with the North Korean refugees here in Seoul. This is a population we plan to start building relationships with soon. One of the guys we meet is Fijian, meaning he is from the islands of Fiji. He speaks five languages and has lived in lots of places. A real genuine person with an interesting life story. I'm fascinated by his life.
10:30-12:00: Trek home. Two subway lines, one bus, and a short 1/4 mile walk.
12:00: Collapse in our bed, exhausted. But a good exhausted. My heart is full again.