Saturday, March 14, 2009

Peopling

We finally got to do some socializing this weekend and it's been really good and fun to get to know people better. The pace of Gangneung is so much more laid back and thus far, the people seem to follow suit. Every other professor we've met seems to be pretty relaxed about life. Even in a large group, we don't have to have a plan or know where we're going next or when. At times in my past, this would have bothered me. But at the moment, I'm really enjoying it. It allows me to relax and be myself. I think I get anxiety over wanting to please others sometimes, so seeing everyone mesh so well together was awesome for me.

All we really did was eat dinner at a Shabu-shabu restaurant (thin sliced beef that you dip into a boiling pot of vegetables) and then go for a drink afterwards. So simple, but yet so fun. I think I've been nearly desperate for interaction with other people, that last night was a breath of fresh air for me. Everyone seems really alive and thoughtful (in the sense that they think before they speak and what they say tends to show signs of intelligence and depth). I really think we're going to get along well with the people we work with.

Tomorrow, we're meeting up with another professor who goes with his (Korean) wife to a Korean church. They have people in the service who do English interpretation. So since we don't stand out in a crowd here enough as it is, we'll be the ones with the big head sets on while the pastor is speaking. I really am grateful, though, to have to opportunity to worship God with other people who are doing the same, regardless of what language it is or what country we're in.