Friday, October 23, 2009

Salmon Festival


Well, I have about 10 minutes before I must leave for class. So this blog may be a bit sporatic, but I wanted to update everyone on what has been going on. In short, last weekend was an amazing weekend. The weather has been a bit chilly and gusty, but overall very nice due to the fluorescent changing of the leaves in Mt. Seorak. We went to Yang-yang(양양), a town smaller than Gangneung (겅릉), last weekend for the Salmon Festival. It consisted of a handful of tents set up near the river, all related to the catching and eating of salmon. Imagine the state fair on a much smaller scale, Korean style. There was a pole set up with cut-outs of fish on the top for people to throw bean bags through. But the main attraction was the catching of the salmon.

Catching salmon included putting on some garden gloves, rolling up your pant legs and going shin deep into some icy river water to try to catch two-foot-long-swimming-beasts/fish (depending on who you talk to). It was one of the most fun times I've had in Korea. Cheap thrills, I know. But the best part for me was watching my wife squirm just as much as the fish I had caught for her. I had caught two by the tail just above the back fin, and was trying to hand off to Rebs, but every time she would reach for it, it would shake its body and she would shriek like a little girl. The fish must have sensed her nervousness because it would then proceed to squirm more. (I almost lost it a couple of times.) Eventually, I got it passed off to her and we got them both out of the water safely, inked, diced, and iced before taking it with us. I'll be sure to put pictures up next time I write.