Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Can't Sleep

It's 12:41am and I'm wide awake. It probably has something to do with the late afternoon nap I desperately needed and took when I got home from work today. I thought this week was going to be easy because we have fewer classes, but it's not. This week, all the foreign professors are giving final exams to their Junior classes. And while I have enjoyed teaching mostly Juniors all semester, I end up with a lot of extra work this week because of it. Lots of grading seems to wear me out!
On a side, but partially related note, I've caught the climbing bug again. We have been going climbing at the gym at school, once during the week, and one day on the weekend for about a month now. I'm loving it, but I'm finding that the cold might have part in my being so tired at work sometimes. On Sunday, a few friends and I went to a climbing crag about 2 hours from where we live. The temperature for the majority of the day was below freezing, but because the rock was in the sun and there was little wind, we were still able to enjoy climbing. Occasionally, there would be a rush of a cold breeze that reminded you winter was around the corner, but otherwise it was great. At the same time, though, I can sense when I am out there that my body is a little tense. Like when you shiver. Shivering for hours can exhaust a person. But lucky for me, I got a nice balaclava in the mail (robber's mask with eye slit) and had several layers on all over, so I stayed as warm as could be.
We have exactly 9 days until we fly to Thailand. It feels like it's just in the nick of time too. Next week is supposed to dip down to just above freezing for the highs most days. Brrr! But by Friday, we will be saying goodbye to Korea for almost 2 months in shorts and t-shirt weather. Our first stop will likely be a very eye-opening experience for us, in which we will be volunteering for about 10 days at the Bamboo School. (Click the link at the top left for more info.) Rebs nor I have ever worked with an impoverished people for much time at all. I'm really looking forward to this time for a large part because we will be there during Christmas time. I feel like it gives us a chance to be reminded of God's gift of Christ to us at Christmas time. He came setting an example, showing us how to love and to serve, ultimately to be a sacrifice for us that we can live in communion with God today and right now. I imagine this place to be a place of community, where the people work together and serve each other. I may be teaching and serving while I'm there, but I also expect to learn a lot along the way. It could possibly be a hands-on experience that would change my perspective on life. Only He knows really.
But I'm just glad to be in an environment that is focused on Christ. I see and hear about the holiday buzz from friends and family back home and it doesn't make me miss the consumerism that seems to take precedence over morality and civility. I'm happy to be thousands of miles away from it all. But I can't help but miss my family at this time too. Christmas has always been my family's biggest holiday together. So when I am away, I know that I'm missing a party and a family reunion mixed into one.