Sunday, January 13, 2008

Coincidence... I Think Not

So today was another amazing, blessed day for us. We went to church and Dusty got to share his testimony in front of the congregation. I was full of joy and tears filled my eyes as I listened to him speak. After the service, an American couple our age came up to introduce themselves. As we talked, we learned that they are from Arkansas, have been married about as long as us, and are avid rock climbers. What?!?! How crazy that we meet them on the other side of the world. Similar to us, their home away from home was climbing at Horseshoe Canyon Ranch. So as we learned more about each other, we all started to grow more excited as we realized how amazing an opportunity we have to become friends and share our greatest passions... God and climbing. Like us, they are English teachers however, they live about two hours south of us in a rural area of Korea. They teach in the public schools mostly to children whose parents are farmers. They have been here about 1.5 years so they know all the good climbing areas and know a lot of people in the climbing community. I'm just so amazed at the fact that we met them. They try to come up to Seoul about once a month to go to our church, stock up at Costco, and run errands. They also have a car which means they can come visit us anytime.

When we first got to Seoul and began making some unlikely connections with people I'd think to myself, "What a coincidence, and what a small world it is." But you know, as stuff like this continues to happen time and again, I'm convinced it's more than just a coincidence. I'm beginning to think that God is fulfilling one of His many promises. God says in Jeremiah 29:11, "For I know the plans I have for you... plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Dusty and I came to Korea because we felt called by God. We came here on faith and God gave us the courage to leave all that was familiar and comfortable. Knowing that God promises to prepare our way, we chose to trust Him and follow where He was leading. Man, am I glad we took that leap of faith. Slowly, God continues to reveal His master plan for our lives one step at a time. What an incredible journey He's had in store for us all along. I guess when God says He prepares our way, He's not messing around. When He says I have plans to give you hope and a future, He means it. "God, You're simply amazing!"

On a lighter note, on the subway ride home we ran across a little fluffy lap dog that was wearing a sweater and shoes. Yes, shoes... on all four feet. Then I came home and took a great nap for about two hours. I had a really weird dream about my dog, Legend. Dusty's parents are taking care of her for us while we're gone. In my dream, we were meeting up with Dusty's parents for dinner and when I met them at the booth in the restaurant, I was shocked to see Legend sitting at the table with her two front paws crossed on the table and little purple bootie shoes on her feet. The first thought to cross my mind is that she'll never want to come back home because Dusty's parents spoiled her so much. I have weird dreams.