Thursday, January 17, 2008

Funny Moment

So yesterday I had a funny thing happen. I was doing an activity called "Domino" with about 8 teams of 15 kids in our auditorium. Each team gets a bucket full of differently colored plastic rectangles about the size of dominoes. We give them different shapes to make in about 5-10 minutes each for about 45 minutes. It's a teamwork activity.
They have speakers set up all around, and during the group activities, we usually play from a plethora of cd's that are by the sound board. I had asked Kyle, our supervisor, to put some music on in the beginning, and he happened to pick a cd that I'd made for a while back. I had forgotten what was on it, but it was a good one. Then, about half way through the class, my brother-in-law's song came on the speakers.
So here I am, surrounded by 75 Korean children frantically scavenging dominoes to build the tallest tower, and one of the most peaceful songs comes on. It's called "If I had an Old Guitar". It has somewhat of a country/folk-like rhythm to it. A good blend of rustic and melodic. I smiled and then started laughing to myself. The song is about being sick and tired, and using the rhythm of the guitar to cure yourself. So there I was surrounded by chaos, but I wasn't really focused on any of it. It was just what I needed, in the most ironic of places. Maybe you get it. Maybe you just had to be there.